South Africa has enormous human and material potential but the majority of the people remain trapped in poverty, hunger and disease.
(SA Institute of Race Relations & HSRC)
- 9 million children grow up without fathers in South Africa.
- 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes.
- More than a third of the country’s prisoners are aged 18 – 25.
- Nearly a third of 12 – 14 year olds have easy access to drugs.
- 52% of SA students drop out in their first year at University; only 15% graduate.
- The World Economic Forum placed South Africa last in a ranking of 62 countries in the quality of Math and Science Education.
- 25% youth is un-employed.
- South Africa is five times higher than the global rate on female homicide.
- 144 women report rape to police every day – six cases reported every hour.